French Toast Food Network Recipe
DaRecipe – French Toast Food Network Recipe – French toast is a dish made of bread soaked in eggs and milk, then fried. Alternative names and variants include eggy bread, Bombay toast, German toast, gypsy toast, poor knights, and Torrija. The BEST French toast I’ve ever eaten! I may have been heavy on the nutmeg and light on the milk (which by the way wasn’t regular milk… I used home made kefir, made from raw milk and kefir grains.) The mixture was a little thick and soaked through only 3 large pieces of Challah bread instead of 8 regular slices. I used every drop of batter and cooked the bread on low so the bread could get cooked all the way through, and not be soggy in the middle but look done on the outside… It turned out PERFECT!
Preparation time Cook time Ready in
20 Minutes 10 Minutes 30 Minutes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices challah, brioche, or white bread
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, warmed
- In a small bowl, combine, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar and set aside briefly.
- In a 10-inch or 12-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk together cinnamon mixture, eggs, milk, and vanilla and pour into a shallow container such as a pie plate. Dip bread in egg mixture. Fry slices until golden brown, then flip to cook the other side. Serve with syrup.
I used Challah slices and wound up needing to add an egg and more milk, as the bread greedily slurped the batter. Perhaps adding or cutting the eggs depends on the type of bread used? Anyway, I agree, this recipe is delicious! I served it with fresh blackberries and maple syrup. Divine!