Homemade Broccoli Indian Recipe
DaRecipe – Homemade Broccoli Indian Recipe – This recipe is proof that vegetable dishes don’t have to be boring. It may be very simple to make as there are so few ingredients, but what is in it makes the dish exciting! When I have friends around for a curry feast, I like to serve a few easy vegetable dishes. We all need our veggies but I usually put most of my effort into the curries and starters. It’s nice to have a few vegetable side dishes that can be prepared in minutes that compliment and don’t compete with the other dishes on the table. That is exactly what you’re going to get with this one. Any type of broccoli will do. You just need to cut it all up good and small so that it fries quickly and evenly.
Preparation time Cook time Ready in
10 Minutes 10 Minutes 20 Minutes
- 8 ounces broccoli, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- Steam broccoli for about 5 minutes. It should still be quite firm.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add mustard seeds. Stir while they pop. When the popping has slowed turn down heat and add onion. Saute until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and add broccoli. Simmer until broccoli is tender. (about 5 minutes).
This was a very interesting tasting dish. I am not so sure I liked all of the seasoning and then additon of cocobut in this dish, but I am not one to like turmeric much to begin with or coconut in savory dishes also. I steamed my broccoli first as suggest by a previous reviewer, then added it to the finshed sauce. This is a great side dish if you want a change from the normal broccoli side.