Homemade Cheese Sauce For Broccoli Recipe
DaRecipe – Homemade Cheese Sauce For Broccoli Recipe – “The basic white sauce that your mother probably taught you, with cheese thrown in for yumminess. Definitely helps to convinces kids to eat their vegetables!” Simple yet perfect cheese sauce ! Tip to avoid ‘gritty’ sauce: You have to go old school and shred cheese from a block. Packaged shredded cheese is coated with flour to prevent shreds from sticking together, and this will make the sauce slightly gritty.
Preparation time Cook time Ready in
5 Minutes 10 Minutes 15 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- Add all ingredients to list
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat; whisk flour into butter until smooth. Pour milk into butter mixture and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Cook and stir until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Add Cheddar cheese and stir until cheese is melted, about 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
Very easy and quick to make and even though I’m one of the lucky moms who’s kids WILL eat their broccoli without a cheese sauce, I tend to not like it too much, so it helps me! LOL I made this once with old cheddar and it was MUCH better than with medium, so if you’re going to make it stick to old or extra old cheddar. Delicious ! Was looking to make broccoli more appealing and came across this. I used corn starch for flour and organic half and half for milk. I also added some minced garlic and onion powder. I used shredded cheddar cheese and it worked out perfectly, no need to use block cheese as others have suggested. Sauce was smooth with no lumps. The key is the temperature through the steps of the recipe is not block cheese versus pre shredded in the bag. Make sure to turn temperature down when cheese is added and stir continuously. Good, basic recipe that everyone should know.