Homemade Low Carb Eggplant Recipe
DaRecipe – Homemade Low Carb Eggplant Recipe – Wow! So delicious, satisfying, and easy! Thank you–we’ll definitely make it again. We added a few steps at the beginning to keep our store-bought eggplant from being bitter: we sliced it as directed, salted both sides generously, and let it sit in a large colander for about 40 minutes. Then we rinsed it and pressed it dry between several layers of paper towels.
Preparation time Cook time Ready in
10 Minutes 45 Minutes 55 Minutes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs eggplants
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups no-added-sugar low carb spaghetti sauce (I use Hunt’s no added sugar Italian baking sauce, in a can) or 1 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce (I use Hunt’s no added sugar Italian baking sauce, in a can)
- italian seasoning
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel eggplant, if you wish, and cut into 1/4 inch thick round slices.
- Lightly grease a medium sized casserole dish and place half of the eggplant on the bottom.
- Top with 1/2 cup of parmesan, 3/4 cup mozzarella and 3/4 cup of sauce, sprinkle with spices.
- Repeat layers and again, sprinkle with spices.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Uncover and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella and once again, sprinkle with spices; bake for about 5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
I *must* start out by saying that I’ve always LOATHED eggplant. Flat out refused to eat it as a child and never cared for it since. But now that I’m on a no carb/very low carb diet…I thought I’d give this a go.
It is hands down one of the best things I’ve tasted yet in the two weeks I’ve been trying no carb recipes.
I used my own homemade sauce that doesn’t have any sugar anyway (feel free to message me for the recipe!)and here’s the part I tweaked: after reading all the comments (and being pressed for time tonight!) I took out my largest skillet and cooked the cut eggplant slices on either side, NO OIL OR BUTTER, until they were just soft. I’d say about 2 mins per side? followed the rest of the instructions and put it in a 350* oven for 20mins covered and 10 mins uncovered at the end. PERFECTION!