Simple Cracker Barrel French Toast Recipe
DaRecipe – Simple Cracker Barrel French Toast Recipe – In an instant, everything that I knew about French Toast changed. If you’ve had it there, you know. If you haven’t, well, you’re in for a treat. It’s so simple too. The answer to perfect french toast is this: sourdough bread. I saw that in the menu, and for a second I doubted. Really, sourdough bread. It’s not that I don’t like it, it’s just that I use it for croutons, or for a bit of tang when we’re having a steak. I thought how could that slightly tangy bread work as a sweet-ish breakfast? The answer – perfectly. That slight tang helps to offset the sweetness of the maple syrup. The hearty crumb of the bread itself means that it’s not soggy, at all, anywhere. It’s like sourdough bread was MADE to become French Toast, just nobody knows yet. Well, except for Cracker Barrel and anyone else out there that was smarter than me.
Preparation time Cook time Ready in
5 Minutes 10 Minutes 15 Minutes
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp butter (for greasing the pan / griddle)
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and sugar in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Heat your pan or griddle to medium-high and grease lightly with butter.
- Dip your slices of sourdough in the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides. Place into your pan, and cook until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook the second side.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings (butter, warm maple syrup, whipped cream, fresh berries, etc).
I’ll admit that when I usually make french toast, I just use whatever bread we have in the house. I add a little cinnamon to my egg and milk mixture and then I just go for it! It always turns out fine, but it has always been missing something. It has a lot to do with the bread. Which makes this copycat Cracker Barrel recipe even better because it’s still easy enough for you to tweak it a bit. Plus, this is really a pretty simple recipe. Pair it with some scrambled eggs and some turkey bacon and I will look like super mom this weekend!