Simple Healthy Eggplant Parm Recipe
DaRecipe – Simple Healthy Eggplant Parm Recipe – “I like this recipe because it is not fried and very tasty. I like to make it healthier by using whole wheat breadcrumbs and reducing the amount of fat. Also, by using mostly egg-whites instead of whole eggs I am able to reduce the cholesterol level.”
Preparation time Cook time Ready in
25 Minutes 35 Minutes 1 Hour
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- 6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 3/4 pound part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Add all ingredients to list
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat together egg, egg whites, and water in a shallow bowl. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until fork tender, 7 to 10 minutes on each side.
- Spread spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 35 minutes.
Excellent way in which to cook an Eggplant Parmesan without the frying. My tips : * 1/2 cup sauteed onion, two garlic cloves and about 8 fresh mushrooms sliced. (I had halved the recipe) I placed this mixture in the middle of the eggplant slices. * Used Panko breadcrumbs and season with garlic salt and Italian seasoning. * Looks and smells great. Pleasant presentation and kudos for ease of preparedness. The eggplant really needs to cook at 425 F, 350 is too low and it will be unpleasantly chewy. I made the recipe twice, and it was much better when the eggplant was cooked at a hotter temp. Otherwise, good recipe.